FRANKLIN REGIONAL TRANSIT AUTHORITY (FRTA) PROPOSED VEHICLE MAINTENANCE & OPERATIONS FACILITY
The Franklin Regional Transit Authority (FRTA) facility is in progress with the design for a new vehicle maintenance and transit operations facility of approximately 71,000 sf located on Sandy Lane in Turners Falls, MA. The FRTA has negotiated and is in the process of purchasing land from the Town of Montague on Sandy Lane for the purpose of constructing a new vehicle maintenance and transit operations facility. As part of the negotiation, FRTA will be providing infrastructure improvements bringing water, sewer, communications, road, and sidewalk from Turnpike Road approximately 500 feet into Sandy Lane to assist the Town of Montague with the construction of their new industrial park located adjacent to the project.
The FRTA’s objectives of this project are:
- Produce a set of design documents and specifications for construction of a new vehicle maintenance and transit operations facility and to accommodate the infrastructure improvements.
- Include separated bus and auto traffic circulation.
- Provide adequate administration/office space, indoor vehicle storage, and vehicle maintenance to meet current and future operational needs.
- Design uniform vehicle maintenance bays to allow work to be performed on any vehicle type in any bay.
- Design the facility using a single-story and without the use of elevators, if possible.
- Incorporate the use of current technology and products to reduce energy consumption, reduce ongoing building operating costs, and reduce carbon emissions, if and where possible.